Friday, August 20, 2004

Well...I have had my first real taste of what it means to be a lawyer. I advised my client and she did exactly the opposite of what I advised. At first I was really irritated...but my husband reminded me that I have nothing to gain or lose by my clients' stupidity, so I shouldn't take it so personally. I can only give my legal opinion and let the clients do whatever they're going to do.

Makes me really wish we had a limit on billable hours for each client though. As an assistant prosecutor, I find it completely unfair to my other clients that one client eats up all my time and their projects/requests for opinions get shuffled to the back burner. I spend so much time cleaning up the messes from certain clients (because they don't take my advice in the first place), that my other clients don't feel like they are a priority. There should be a limit. I know we're statutorily appointed counsel for political subdivisions...but I think some are taking advantage of their "free" legal counsel.

Anyway...as I have said for a while now...my job would be so much easier if I just didn't have to deal with my clients. lol

No comments: