Thursday, September 30, 2004

I am not a Bush supporter...I'll freely admit it...but this sort of thing really bothers me. A police officer can not have a political bumper sticker in his car/truck if it sits in the city parking lot?!?!?! First, this case presumes that everyone who walks by will know that this car belongs to a police officer. I have no idea what the police officers in my courthouse drive...and quite frankly I don't care. Second, when did it become political to voice your support of the President of the United States??? Or is it merely a time relative problem?

If this officer were wearing a pin on his person while at work, I could understand the problem. But his car making a political statement is an entirely different matter. And what happens if he decides to put a permanent sticker on his bumper, instead of just in the window. He can't drive the car to work anymore?!?!?! Is he not allowed to express his support of the President? Who can he express support for and who can he not? Can he put a World Wildlife Federation sticker on his car? What about those "my child is an honor student" stickers?

Repeat after me, oh great legal minds...slippery slope, slippery slope, slippery slope...

No comments: