Tuesday, August 26, 2003

And ME1's Head Exploded...

When I read this post at the Mommy Blawg (thanks for the mention btw). Like the Mommy, when I read Real Simple ages ago, I thought it was less about how simplify and more about how to buy more things to convince myself that I have simplified everything. But hey, I guess you get what you deserve if you think you're going to unlock the mysteries of an easier life by paying $3.95 for a magazine at a newstand.

Anyway, I was incredibly appalled to read that in their article on time wasters, they suggested eliminating breast-feeding. Worse yet, in support of their position, they quoted an OB/GYN who specializes in high risk pregnancies and fetal health. Don't you think they should have at least checked with a pediatrician if they wanted a "medical professional?" An OB/GYN is primarily focused on the mother and getting the baby to term; not what the kid should eat once he/she is out in the world. What poor research! I thought that "Real Simple" was supposed to be the magazine's approach to life, not their staff's collective mental capacity.

As the Mommy indicated, there are many reasons women choose to use formula. You need to educate yourself about your options. I recommend Kelly's AP site or Dr. Sears site for breastfeeding information. Another good source of breastfeeding info (and several excellent rants) is a thread at the Mothering magazine message board.

Hitting the top of my personal list of time wasters: reading Real Simple magazine.

No comments: