Wednesday, May 21, 2003

A Fitting Finale

I must say that I thought the series finale for Buffy rocked! The second half was nearly perfect and I was surprised to find myself feeling so empowered and happy to be a woman during the whole "Choose to take the power" speech. I loved that Buffy decided that the only one slayer rule determined by some powerful men ages ago didn't bind her, or any other woman on the planet. I loved that she said that Willow was more powerful than all of those men and that she could make it so that every potential, everywhere, for all time would come into their own power. It was beautiful to watch it happen. I especially adored the girl who stopped the person beating her. For anyone who didn't see it, there was no reverse beating. She simply lifted her head, stopped the next blow, and her expression clearly indicated that this behavoir wasn't going to continue. This is one reason I happen to like Joss Whedon: he does a fairly good job writing for women.

Somehow I was sure there were continuity errors left and right, but I didn't care.

I thought it was brilliant that Willow's use of super-powerful magic put her in touch with good rather than evil, as she had feared.

Of course, my two favorite characters were killed off. I thought Anya got a raw deal last year and that she was probably most deserving of a happy ride off into the sunset. I was crushed to see her slain. I'll be interested to read what others say about this episode later.

And in spite of what I posted below, it appears that Spike is dead. Well, at least he got the last word in with Buffy.

Finally, I think I most appreciated the exchange at the end, "Well it looks like the Hellmouth is closed for business."

Giles replied, "Well there's one in Cleveland."

I think I know just where it is.

No comments: