Sunday, June 15, 2003

Happy Father's Day

Very mellow day here--other than the six alarm chili my hubby made! He's still perfecting the recipe.

I took my daughter to a local park, while he did something as simple as taking a shower. We've discovered that it is definitely the little things in life that matter after having a child. The park has some swing sets with baby seats and a wading pool. I pushed her in the swing--she has loved the wind in her face since I took her for her first walk at six weeks. I hadn't brought her swim suit with us, but I knew from experience that she could walk in the pool without getting her clothes wet. Since it was such a warm day, I thought I'd give her a treat by letting her play in the water. She splashed about for a bit and I thought, "Well, I'll take her shorts off for the walk home since the edges are damp now." The next thing I know, my beautiful daughter has dropped in the water. She made the return trip home in a dry pair of diapers and her sun hat. Her drenched clothes were hanging off the stroller handle. Her Daddy laughed when he saw her.

What can I say? I'm a novice.

This was our first Father's day. Last year, we were wrapped in the anticipation of the unknown baby who should have been three weeks away. We spent Father's Day weekend preparing her room, thinking we had plenty of time. The following Friday, we became parents. It has been wonderful. We have cherished every moment.

Hope your Father's Day was great. Ours was very good.

No comments: