Tuesday, June 17, 2003

No CASA in Seneca County?
The Seneca County CASA program is suffering from a budget crunch and is in danger of losing one of its funding grants...which may result in the elimination of the program.

I'm going back and adding some worthwhile commentary on some of my previous blog entries, simply because I can...and I've been inspired to write more than simple snarky comments. Here's my first...

The CASA program is a decent idea, but I have reservations about the effectiveness of non-lawyers serving as advocates for children...especially in abuse and neglect situations. There are many aspects of the Code that a non-lawyer wouldn't be aware of. Perhaps that's the idea of the CASA program, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the real idea is a trade-off of true advocacy for saving some money. If Seneca County isn't interested in funding CASA, then there's no way they're interested in funding a GAL program consisting of paid attorneys. The fact that it's even an issue concerns me...who is REALLY interested in protecting children in that county, if they're not even willing to go the cheapest route?

No comments: