Thursday, January 29, 2004

Do you watch The Apprentice? Boston.com has an interesting article about the one black woman...I'm sorry...African-American woman on the show. She's been accused of "playing the race card" and I have two comments about that.

First of all...what is the "race card?" Is there some deck of cards that I haven't seen? This is a silly expression and, quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing it whenever race becomes an issue in anything. The negative implications from this phrase alone are too numerous to comment on.

Secondly, Stallworth did make race an issue. But that's not the disturbing part. The disturbing part is that she doesn't make much sense when she does make it an issue. Stallworth was having a disagreement with another contestant on the show about being a b!tch (or something equally adult). The other woman said, "That's like the pot calling the kettle black." At which point Stallworth accused the woman of making a racist comment. OK...I missed something in that exchange I guess. Or maybe I'm just not informed. Was that a logical conclusion to jump to? Is that phrase somehow racist? I'm off to Google to find out.

No comments: