Saturday, January 10, 2004

I have joined an internet message board book club and have started reading Confessions of a Shopaholic. I'm finding it's a very easy read, though the story is set in England and a lot of the brand name references are lost on me. The basic storyline is about a young woman living beyond her means. I can relate to her, as I have lived beyond my means at more than one time in my life. Maybe that's why I feel a little uncomfortable reading this book...Everytime the main character buys something new that she knows she can't afford, I revert to the automatic mental calculations of how much is in my checking account at the moment.

I'm sure there are those of you who understand how a lawyer, especially one just starting out, needs to make those sorts of mental calculations. When you're paying about half of your salary to the student loan people, you realize what debt and money problems really are.

I know, ME1, I should be reading Harry Potter IV first. But I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things as far as being able to pay attention to what I read. As soon as my mind is focused enough, I'm tackling the stack of books that have been calling my name from my bookshelf.

No comments: