Saturday, February 21, 2004

Noooooooooo

Say it isn't so! I was tooling around Save Farscape to see if there was any news about the mysterious mini-series currently in production in Australia when I saw this headline:

" Disney to Buy Muppets from Henson "

I don't know if I can even explain why this bothers me. I don't like Mickey Mouse, but I confess I've been acquiring the animated Disney movies for my daughter. Heck, I'll probably buy many of the old live action movies like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Parent Trap. But I have always prefered Warner Brothers cartoons to Disney--the former being clever and sassier while the latter always seemed excessively simple and dull. Muppets have always seemed to be more in the style of Warner Brothers--they were cute and cuddly enough to appeal to kids, but they always had enough sophistication and smart references to pop culture to satisfy adults.

No comments: