Thursday, February 26, 2004

Women's History in my own backyard

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know that Cleveland is home to the International Women's Air and Space Museum until I read the local school's newletter today. (Considering I begged hubby to let me see the Women's Hall of Fame when we went to Seneca Falls, you'd think I would know about it--My new mission: find the women's museums.)

Through a grant from Alcoa, the IWASM is working with schools in northeastern Ohio to encourage girls in the 7th through 9th grades who have an interest in science, math and technology. Okay, reallistically, that description couldn't be farther from me when I was in 7th through 9th grades, but my darling daughter may show a desire and an aptitude for the stuff.

The site has information on many women involved in aviation and space, including current astronaut candidates--so cool. My best friend's grandfather photographed Amelia Earhart. I may have to get the Amelia Earhart doll for my daughter's birthday. It would be for her of course.

No comments: